This was an exercise in product creation for the Evermore team.
We did a few days workshop lead by Balaźs Szabolcska, the project director of the team. Where we brainstorm the brand threads, created the user stories and initial wireframes.
Based on findings from the workshop I worked on the logo design, brand colors, and the UI design.
We couldn’t find one tool that satisfies the project management needs of the team. So we use few different tools. Also, this was a great opportunity for us to sharpen our product creation skills.
Create a simple Project management app satisfies the needs of small software development teams (like ours) without any extra features and destructions. Make it, so the team uses just this one app instead of two or three as before.
Make a working version that can replace the essential part of our project management process in less than a year.
We wanted something task oriented like Basecamp. But adding one more layer of meaning by grouping the task in bigger meaningful chunks. Something that Trello do with the cards. And also having a history (backlog) of what we did over time. So we can look back and reflect and optimise for the future.
Based on the discoveries we did doing the brand triads exercise. I took part in the wireframing process as the rest of the team. Worked on the visual identity of the product. Picking the color palette. Choosing fonts. Designing the logo. Creating the user interface based on the upvoted wireframes. Provide detailed UI solutions for ideas that surface during the designing process. Collect and apply feedback from the team.
Every project is divided to cards. Each card to tasks. The task is assign to a person. On this screen you can add/edit cards and tasks. Filter them. And add an estimate. Or you can mark the task as ready.
Card is a collection of related tasks. You can add tags for easy filtering. Comment. And attach files to it. You can also edit, delete or estimate a card.
This screen shows what you see after clicking on a task. You can estimate, assign, add comments with attachments.
After 6 months, we had the first working version. We realised this is not something that can replace our current infrastructure. And it was not possible to finish the project if we extended it a month or two. We did some deliberation and decided to drop the project. After all, it was a side project that was taking a big chunk of the company’s resources.
We picked a very complex problem to solve. The problem that even companies with huge resources struggle to solve. It was a great inside of the thinking that goes behind such product.
The dynamic of human collaboration is an organic process that is challenging to capture inside a product. To do so, you need more time for exploration, testing and single-minded focus.